Insomnia is defined as unable to sleep, sleep or have adequate depth of sleep. Long-term insomnia can cause many physiological problems. World Health Organization study shows that about 1/3 of the world there are insomnia symptoms or sleep dysfunction. Too much pressure is the main reason for insomnia. Stress usually comes from financial, work or emotional problems. Other causes of insomnia include diet, disease and prescription drugs. Take a look at how to prevent insomnia, so that they can sleep every day and have a good sleep.
P1. Improve sleep quality
- Cultivate a relaxing bedtime habit. Before going to sleep, do something to let you relax and develop a habit. Every time this activity, the brain and the body will realize that it is time to sleep. Practice relaxation before going to sleep, but also help the brain relax.
- Take a deep breath to help sleep. Put a hand on the lower abdomen, inhale, feel the hands of the air up. Breathe, count to 3, and then breathe.
- Try to tighten your toes. Curl toe, count to 10, relax, and then count to 10. Repeat 10 times.
- Relaxation techniques can help you relax before going to sleep, such as progressive muscle relaxation. You can search online for detailed instructions. A focus on a body part. Will focus on the moment, it will not cranky before going to sleep, leading to insomnia.
- A warm bath can also help sleep. Consider a week before going to sleep a warm bath. To ensure that the water temperature will not be too high, so as not to stimulate the brain, but could not sleep.
- Improve the sleep environment. In order to prevent insomnia, try to make the bedroom or sleeping place become attractive, relaxing and calm. As long as the improvement of sleep environment, can improve the quality of sleep.
- If you live in a noisy apartment or area, consider using a white noise machine. They can cover unnecessary noise. You can also use the phone to download the white noise application.
- Try to keep bed and bed sheets comfortable. Replace the cloth that will irritate the skin. Test the temperature in the room to find the temperature for your sleep. Keep the room cool and try to keep the temperature at 16 to 18 degrees Celsius (60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit). However, for some people, this temperature may be too low. Do not open the light and the screen of the electronics.
- In the room to install a fan, you can make white noise, but also allow air circulation, keep the room cool.
- Bed can only be used to sleep and make love. Do not work or read in bed. Let the brain see the bedroom bed just think of sleep, not the other thing.
- Do not force yourself to sleep, have the sleepiness to go to bed again. If you cannot sleep, may wish to get out of bed to do some relaxing activities 20 to 30 minutes until the storm so far.
- Remove the clock in the bedroom. Set the alarm clock, it will be hidden in the place. Looking at the time will make you more anxious, increase the symptoms of insomnia.
- Pay attention to what you have eaten before going to bed. A few hours before going to sleep to eat dinner, will cause indigestion and physical discomfort, so that you cannot sleep Keep eating a small amount of healthy snacks before going to sleep, such as whole grains, fruit and low-fat dairy products.
- Do not take stimuli before going to sleep. Before going to bed to take some of the chemicals that will hinder sleep, but also a common cause of insomnia. Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are proven to interfere with sleep, and their effects can last up to 8 hours.
- In general, after lunch, do not re-intake of caffeine, 6 hours before going to sleep without alcohol, a few hours before going to bed may not take nicotine (tobacco). Caffeine will make the brain neurons more excited, has been operating at high speed. While alcohol will make many people feel sleepy, but reduced the quality of sleep.
- Caffeine sources include coffee, black tea, green tea, hot chocolate, dark chocolate bars, most soft drinks and energy drinks. Even caffeine-free energy drinks, may contain melon and (or) ginseng and other stimuli. Do not drink this kind of drink before going to sleep.
- Sugar is also a stimulant; at least 1 hour before going to sleep cannot eat sugar.
- Before going to sleep, try to stop the brain from working. If stress is the cause of your insomnia, trying to get the brain to stop working before going to sleep may be helpful. Build a bedtime that allows you to relax and decompress.
- Before going to sleep, do calm down the activities. Read some easy and interesting things. Soak a warm bath. Meditation. Avoid activities that stimulate the brain, such as using computers and watching TV.
- You can also write down what you want earlier. Take 10 to 15 minutes a day, write down your own troubles, or spend time thinking about things that bother you. At night, these ideas will not be lingering in the mind, easier to fall asleep.
- Tried to let yourself relax, but before going to sleep or anxiety? May wish to do some mental exercise, distract their attention. Try to name 50 surnames. Try to list the names of fruits and vegetables you can think of. Although these exercises seem silly, but you can divert attention, do not think about their own troubles, let other ideas occupy your mind, so that you slowly initiation of sleepy.
P2. Change the way of life
- Work, school and social problems will bring you pressure, and then cause insomnia. Try to reduce or control daily stress and can help relieve symptoms of insomnia.
- Only assume reasonable obligations and responsibilities. The reason why many people are too much pressure to bear too much obligation, or too busy. If you do not have time for the school to sell will be ready to sell food, then do not make a commitment.
- Delete the list of to do things can not do things today. If you are busy this week, you can ask your friends or family to help you run errands.
- At any time to leave the pressure of the situation. Does a family or colleague like to irritate you? It is better to reduce contact with him. If a social activity makes you feel overwhelmed, do not go out.
- Properly manage the time, to avoid the pressure of the situation. Hate late then work early every day. Do you feel the pressure on your daily chores? May wish to do things together at the same time. For example, after get off work to the grocery store to buy things, the way to the pharmacy prescription drugs.
- Talk to your doctor about your stress. Doctors can advise you to change your lifestyle and help your body better regulate your stress. He may also refer you to a counselor or therapist. The latter will help you manage the stress.
- Frequent exercise helps to adjust the sleep cycle. If you do not have a fixed exercise habits, may wish to work hard to develop a sports plan to help fight against insomnia.
- Do 20 to 30 minutes a day for strenuous exercise. You should do aerobic exercise, such as cycling, running, sports or online recommended aerobic exercise.
- You have to work hard to develop a fixed exercise habits. It is helpful for you to keep a fixed rest. Try to do exercise every morning or after work. Arrange a fixed exercise time; it becomes a habit, like every day to brush your teeth or dinner.
- Exercise is important to alleviate insomnia. Although exercise can help sleep, but you cannot do strenuous exercise before going to sleep. Try to do exercise before 5 to 6 hours before going to sleep.
P3. Seek expert help
- If you have tried the above method, but are of no avail, but also from the occasional insomnia slowly into long-term insomnia? Please go to the doctor. There may be some potential physical condition that makes it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- Common causes of insomnia include chronic pain, depression, sleep motility, severe snoring (sleep apnea), urinary problems, arthritis, cancer, hyperthyroidism (hyperthyroidism), menopause, heart disease, lung disease and chronic heartburn.
- Ask the doctor if you eat the medicine will cause insomnia. Drugs that may affect sleep include antidepressants, antihypertensive drugs, allergies, diet pills and mood-improving drugs (such as Ritalin).
- The doctor will carefully check your medical history, and other symptoms that may arise. To see a doctor before the first list of your concerns and questions may be helpful.
- Talk to the doctor about over-the-counter supplements. Many herbs and natural supplements have mild sedative effects that can promote sleep and fight against insomnia.
- Valerian root has a slight sedative effect. Many healthy food stores sell valerian root supplements. However, it occasionally affects liver function, consult a doctor before they can take it.
- Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland in the brain, which is important for circadian rhythm and deep sleep. How effective is it to treat insomnia? This research has not yet been conclusive, but in general, short-term use is safe.
- Acupuncture is a traditional medical practice, the doctor will acupuncture into the human body acupuncture points. Some evidence suggests that acupuncture may help people who insomnia. If other methods do not work, consider taking acupuncture.
- Long-term long-distance travel and face the problem of time difference will lead to insomnia.
- Most people need to sleep 7 to 9 hours per night. Some people may sleep 3 hours a night, and there will not be a bad long-term impact.