From ancient China to cutting-edge California, the story of kiwifruit is a rich and colorful saga for which new chapters continue to be written today. Enjoy this sweet, juicy stroll down memory lane!
Originally discovered in the Chang Kiang Valley of China, kiwifruit was considered a delicacy by the great Khans who relished its emerald green color and dazzling flavor. By the mid 1800s, the fruit had found its way into other countries which nicknamed it Chinese gooseberry, and it wasn’t long before New Zealand growers were exporting the exotic fruit to specialized markets around the world.
Fast-forward to 1962, when a California produce dealer began importing New Zealand gooseberries to satisfy the request of a lone Safeway shopper. The dealer renamed the product “kiwifruit” because of its resemblance to the fuzzy brown kiwi — New Zealand’s funny-looking national bird. By the late 1960s, California began producing its own kiwifruit in the Delano and Gridley areas.
Nutritional Value of Kiwi
Kiwi nutritious and delicious, the sugar content about 13%, about 2% acid, but also per 100 grams of pulp with vitamin 400 mg, nearly 9 times higher than citrus. Fresh fruit sweet and sour moderate, fragrant and refreshing.
- Cancer prevention. Kiwifruit contains anti-mutant component of glutathione, can inhibit cancer gene mutations in nasopharyngeal cancer, liver cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, prostate cancer and other disease of cancer cells are inhibited.
- Protect the liver from relieving drunkenness.Kiwi hangover is better than the well-known citrus.If somebody drink more, give him a cup of kiwi juice immediately, that can hangover, protect the liver.
- Reduce gastrointestinal discomfort.Eat at night, drinking coffee or tea can trigger acidity conditions. Regardless of the physical problems associated with the body, such as heartburn, or acid reflux, it can be used as a good kiwifruit antacid agent. It can also treat diarrhea and dysentery. A cup of kiwi fruit juice or powder can reduce gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Improve the protein, to solve the stomach weak. Kiwi is rich in nutrients, so it can improve the total protein level. After a meal in the drink a cup of kiwi powder made of drinks, can solve the problem of stomach weakness.
- Enhance immunity, improve indigestion. Kiwi effect also includes the promotion of immune function, the treatment of liver disease, indigestion, anemia, urinary system problems, respiratory diseases, brain disease. It can also increase the production of red blood cells, strengthen the teeth and nails strong.
- Enhance physical fitness. Daily intake of adequate vitamin C can effectively enhance the body, away from the hazards of high blood pressure. Kiwi contains VC, VE, VK and other vitamins, is a nutritious and dietary fiber-rich low-fat foods. Every 100 grams of kiwi fruit, with vitamin C100-420 mg, 20-80 times higher than the apple, 5-10 times higher than citrus At the same time it also contains a lot of sugar, protein, amino acids and other organic matter and the human body a variety of minerals necessary. An adult vitamin C required for a day 50-60 mg, as long as a day to eat a kiwi, can meet the human body needs of vitamin C.
- Treatment of respiratory diseases, improves vision in addition to wrinkles. Kiwi can effectively treat respiratory problems and also improve your vision. Wiwi with honey soaked in water, can play a role in improving vision. For regular use of computer office workers, every morning with kiwi and honey soaked in water, not only seductive, but also beauty.
- Freckle anti-aging.Kiwi contains a lot of fruit acid, acid can inhibit keratinocyte cohesion and melanin precipitation, effectively eliminate or dilute the dark spots, in improving the dry or oily skin tissue also has a significant effect. Kiwi is the most abundant fruit with vitamin C, so eat kiwi can unknowingly play the role of whitening. Moreover, kiwi topical cosmetic effect is also good. After washing the face, with the peeled kiwi evenly smear the face and massage, to improve the pores have a significant effect.
- Improve thinning hair and increase hair vitality.If the hair is sparse and not shiny, you can use kiwi juice for shampoo for a week, or cut a piece of kiwi in a bucket of water inside the shampoo. Not only increase the hair vitality, but also can solve a lot of hair problems.
- Lowering high blood pressure.Expert analysis pointed out that kiwi fruit is small, but its green flesh nutrient-rich, rich in antioxidants lutein, with lower blood pressure effect. In the heart of a healthy heart, “every day 5 fruits and vegetables” diet, there should be a place of kiwi.
- Lower cholesterol. Kiwi contains vitamin C helps reduce blood cholesterol levels, play a role in dilating blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. It also strengthens the heart muscles. Drink a teaspoon of kiwi powder on a regular basis with the right amount of warm water made of the drink, can help stabilize the blood cholesterol levels.
- Promoting digestion and preventing constipation.Kiwi inside a variety of vitamins and fiber helps to promote gastrointestinal motility, speed up digestion, but also prevention and treatment of constipation, rapid removal of toxins and effective discharge.
- The treatment of scurvy.Kiwi can be used as a beverage for the treatment of scurvy. A cup of kiwi juice every day, within a month can be a good improvement in color and texture.
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus.Kiwi has antidiabetic potential.It contains chromium, have medicinal value in treating diabetes.It stimulates the isolated cells secrete insulin, therefore, can lower blood glucose in patients with diabetes mellitus.The powder mixed with bitter gourd powder, can regulate blood sugar levels.Regular intake of sweet, sour, spicy and oily foods can cause acid to the body.
Trace elements of per 177 grams Kiwi
|Calories.From Carbohydrate – 391 kJ||Vitamin A – 154 IU|
|From Fat – 32.2 kJ||Vitamin C – 164 mg|
|From Protein – 28.5 kJ||Vitamin E – 2.6 mg|
|Dietary Fiber – 5.3 g||Vitamin K – 71.3 mcg|
|Sugars – 15.9 g||Niacin – 0.6 mg|
|Saturated Fat – 0.1 g||Vitamin B – 60.1 mg|
|Monounsaturated Fat – 0.1 g||Folate – 44.2 mcg|
|Polyunsaturated Fat – 0.5 g||Pantothenic Acid – 0.3 mg|
|Calcium – 60.2 mg||Choline – 13.8 mg|
|Iron – 0.5 mg||Betaine – 0.9 mg|
|Magnesium – 30.1 mg||Copper – 0.2 mg|
|Phosphorus – 60.2 mg||Manganese – 0.2 mg|
|Potassium – 552 mg||Selenium – 0.4 mcg|
|Sodium – 5.3 mg||Water – 147 g|
|Zinc – 0.2 mg||Ash – 1.1 g|